Saturday, August 30, 2008

History of Dark Crystal

This is one of my games that I have made. This is by far my biggest and most complex game of them all, as well as my most favorite one that I am designing. I have been working on this one game for quite some time now, as it takes up a lot of my time making it. It also doesn't help that this game has been upgraded many times now, as I keep coming up with better ideas on how to make the story and its design better. This game is called Dark Crystal: Souls of Darkness, which was not its first name at all. The original name was called Final Elementals, which I mostly stole from Final Fantasy. I first started making this game on the game engine RM2K3, back when it was called Final Elementals. Funny thing is that I can still remember what my very first game look like. Boring story and just plain ugly maps lol. Well after a little while, I started a new game under the same title, which I also grew tired of its look and story, so I started another new game under the same name. This started to happen quite often, which ended up being quite a few games with the same name. After some time, I decided to make a whole new game with a new title with a goal to make a small simple game, so I could learn more about the program before I would start my ultimate game, Final Elementals. After thinking of many different tittles that I could use for my new game, I finally came up with one, Dark Crystal. My goal was to make a small simple game in the start, but as time grew on, so did my ideas, and my new game. Finally I decided to forget about my first game Final Elementals and just to focus on Dark Crystal as my new main game. My new Dark Crystal game was starting to turn out great, and I was happy with the design and the story. It was also the biggest game yet that I have made. Around this time, the new game engine called RMXP came out, but I was happy with my game, so I decided to stick with RM2K3. Well after some time, my old computer was so mess up that it was wipe clean, which ended up as me losing all my data. When I got my computer back, I didn't feel like making my game again on RM2k3, so I ended up using RMXP. It took me some time to get use to the new game engine, but after some time I started to get the hang of it. When I started to get better with RMXP, I started to redo my bad habit of restarting my game over again, which ended up of me making many copies of the game with upgrade story and design. One thing that was different this time then before was that I keep using the same places in all my new remakes, and I would just change the design and the story a little bit, which before I would make a new story and change everything around. After the first remake, I change the name of the game once again to Dark Crystal: Souls of Darkness, which I would keep through to my current one. After some time I did one final remake which is my current one that I am working on right now. My current one from the last one want through a major upgrade in both story and design, which I have no new plan of remaking it as I am very happy with my current one.


Kema City's design in all my RMXP game


Old style menu on left, and new menu on right

No comments: