Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Kotobukiya Jehuty HD Edition Review

Here is the review of the model kit Jehuty HD Edition made by Kotobukiya from the game series Zone of the Enders.
For those who don't know what Zone of the Enders also know as just Z.O.E is. It is a fast pace action game which the player controls the giant mecha Jehuty also known as a Orbital Frame. It is made by Konami, which the first game came out in 2001 for the PS2.
I have always been a huge fan of the games, and always wanted to get this kit since it came out. Jehuty is my 2nd favorite design in the game with Anubis as my all time favorite. I am still hoping that Kotobukiya will make a Anubis model kit in the near future, but for the mean time I got this kit to work on. Their is also a model of the Vic Viper which I would love to get one day.

As for the kit itself, there are two versions of it. One is the normal one and the other is the HD one which has slightly different colors then the normal one and it also comes with the effect parts for the wings and the Option parts as well. The HD Edition is about $18 more then the normal kit, and if your a big fan like me I would recommend it, but if not I would say just pick up the normal Jehuty.
As for the overall detail and design of the kit itself, I would say that this kit is more like a HG in Gunpla terms. The color separating is quite good, only areas that is going to have to be painted is the hands and a  alittle spot on the bigger option parts.
It doesn't have that great of movement which was a little disappointing, and most of the joints are hold on by poly caps which I don't mind the hands, but I will replace the leg ones with some after market ball caps when I start to paint it.
As for seam lines, their is a few, but the way this kit was design they are very hard to notice and the ones that are noticeable are easy to fix.
One thing that really surprise me is that this kit can stand on it's own without it's stand. It was quite hard with it fully together, but is possible. It does come with a stand, so I would say just keep it on the stand as there is really no reason to have it standing on it's own other then to see it with your own eyes.
As for the stand, they look nice, but they are pretty bad. They have very little strength so I ran into the problem of it falling down all of the time. The manual does say to use a screwdriver to tightening the screw, but I found that this did not work at all for me. It could of been that I just got unlucky and just got a bad stand. Once you do get it into place, it will stay up, just don't touch it and you will be fine.
The normal kit runs about ¥4,800 JPY and the HD one is about ¥6,200 which is alittle on the pricey  side for this kit in my eyes. It is a great kit and if your a big fan of Z.O.E like me I would highly recommend picking this and the Vic Viper up. But if your not a big fan I would say to pass on this kit and only pick it up if you find a good deal on it.

Picture Time!

Lots of clear parts on this kit
Another nice thing is if you get the light to shine at the eyes in the right way you get this glow effect which was pretty cool.
This is my biggest problem with the stand...... XD
Showing that it is indeed possible for it to stand.
Size comparison between MG Exia and Jehuty. Also Jehuty is leaning abit forward in the picture, so I would give it a extra 2-3mm of height if fully straight up.
The effect parts for the wings
The Option parts and the extra part for the stand.
Can move up and down and rotate right and left giving it a range of different movements for the Option parts.
Comes with some extra parts for the ring, which people who have play the game should know right away what it is.

No comments: