Sunday, September 23, 2012

MG Mk.2 Scratch Build Sword WIP

This is a WIP for the custom sword made for the RX-178 Mk.2 Gundam. I have finish the Mk.2 and everything else at this stage and will most likely be uploading the pics for that later today or maybe tomorrow.
Anywho, this nearly turn out perfect, the first side I superglue the black part to the blade, the glue got on some of the black paint and ruin it, but the other side turn out fine and will just pose it on the good side, so not a biggie.

So for the first step, I got a thick piece pla plate, about 3mm and using a pencil and a ruler draw out the basic design.

I used a metal ruler so the blade can't cut into it.
I then cut out the design using a hand saw as it is really hard for a hobby knife to cut that thick of pla plate unless it is really sharp. I prefer the hand saw over the hobby knife in this case.
I then draw out the design for the outer areas for the sword using a thin piece of pla plate (1mm) and cut it out.

The test blade I made before making my final one. The blade is uneven and same with the holes in the middle. I may weather it and used it as a well used blade for my Mk.2.
Hand Saw

I then got my pin drill and drill a hole down the middle of the blade for the metal cooper rode that is used to hold the handle and the sword together. This didn't go as nice as it did the first time so I just took out the dremel and made the hole bigger.

The tool I used to poke a hole before using the pin drill. I then drill with the little hole is.
Pin Drill
My Dremel, a little handy tool to have around.

Once I had every thing cut out, I got my dremel and put the sanding part on it. I then put turn the dremel on a high speed and keep running the blade down the sanding part over and over to get it that sword like blade look.


After all this was done, it was time to paint. For the blade I used Alclad II Polished Aluminium, the outer part was painted with Mr. Color Black, and the Gold part in the middle was Alclad II Pale Gold.


To glue everything together I just used some crazy glue which works great but at the same time gotta be really careful as it dries really fast. I did mass up the first time as I put too much glue down and some how got on the black area and took some of the paint off. Lucky it was only one side, so I just pose it with the good side and nobody will ever notice. =D
And for the handle I just got some cloth and glue some of it at the top, middle, and at the bottom and just wrap the cloth around it till the bottom.


No comments: